Potato (Aloo)Image via Wikipedia
My husband and I were reducing ham stock yesterday, and I got the craving for potato soup.  I have never made potato soup before and was disappointed with the recipes I saw on line, so I decided to try making my own. My family loved itIt is a hearty soup which can be enjoyed anytime of year, but I look forward to making it with my home grown, organic potatoes, leeks, celery, and carrots this fall. This recipe used home made ham stock, but if you don't like to use pork, you could use a chicken or vegetable stock.

2C. ham stock (homemade)
6-8 potatoes, cubed
1 C. leeks, diced
5 C. water
2 medium carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 C. cooked ham,  diced (optional)
cracked pepper to taste
salt to taste
1 C. milk (I prefer to start with raw)
1 C. sour cream
1 tsp. tarragon
1 tsp. Xanthan gum

In a crock pot combine all ingredients except the milk, sour cream, and xanthan gum.  Slow cook for 8-10 hours.  In the last 1 1/2 hours add the milk and sour cream. I was not at home 1 1/2 hours prior to serving, so I heated the milk up to, just under boiling, in a sauce pan and added to the crock pot with the sour cream.  Before serving, thicken the soup with Xanthan gum.  This will produce a smoother soup than without Xanthan gum.  Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


This entry was posted on 11:51 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: