Tis the season for a multitude of traditions and traditional foods. One of my faorites at this time of year is Chex mix. I have fond memories of my dad cooking up a batch of chex mix on a cold Saturday sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The aromas waifting through the house was wonderful. The batch of chex mix never made it to the New Year. Since switching to a gluten free lifestyle I have had to make some adaptations to some of my favorite foods. Thankfully, this was one of the simpler recipes to adapt to a gluten free lifestyle. Chex makes several varieties of chex which are gluten free. Glutino makes a nice honeynut O cereal that blends well with the saltiness of the rest of the mix. There are also several brands of gluten free pretzles to use as well. I also make my own season salt because I am sensitive to MSG as well.

In a large raoster combine:

1 box Rice Chex
1 box Corn Chex
1 box GF O's (I like Glutino's)
2# Mixed nuts ( check ingredients to make sure nothing is added)
1 bag GF pretzles

In a pot, melt 1 pound butter.


Add:
1 TBSP Paprika
1 tsp Garlic Salt
1 tsp. Chili podwer
2 TBSP Worchestershire sauce ( check ingredients, some have wheat)
1 tsp. Season salt (I make my own)

Pour sauce over mix and stir. Bake at 225 for 2 hours. Stir mix every 30 minutes adding garlic salt and season salt at each stirring. Cool and put into air tight containers.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


This entry was posted on 12:48 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: