Cranberries, the state fruit of WisconsinImage via Wikipedia
My husband loves bread pudding.  I love making things my husband likes.  Gluten free and bread does not always mesh well, especially with breads.  My whole fmaily loves my almond bread, so I thought I would give it a try in a bread pudding recipe.  I found one that I thought I would like and modified it to be gluten free.  It came from Emeril.  Instead of french bread, I used my almond bread and in the cranberry compote, I did not use any of the lemon or orange rind.  I personally think they make any recipe a bit on the bitter side.  I didn't miss not having them in this recipe.  We also tried his Bourbon spiced cream and found just normal whip cream with vanilla went better with the pudding.

4 large eggs
1 C. brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg, ground fresh
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. cranberry compote (see below)
1 C. pecans, taosted and roughly chopped
2C. half and half
8 slices of gluten free almond bread, cubed
Whipped cream

Cranberry Compote:
1/2 pounds fresh cranberries ( approximatewly 2-3 C.)
1/4 C. orange juice
3 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. water
3 TBSP cornstarch

For the compote:  Put all the ingredients except the cornstartch and 1/2 C. water in a sauce pan.  Over medium high heat, bring  to a boil.  Cook for 8 minutes.  Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/2 C. water and add the the sauce pan. Reduce heat to medium and stir constantly until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and cool completely.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a casserole pan with coconut oil( butter if you do not have coconut oil). Whisk together eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and cranberry compote until very smooth.  Stir in half and half , bread cubes, and pecans.  Let it sit for 30 minutes for the bread to absorb the liquid.  Stir occassionally.  Pour mixture in to casserole pan and bake until the pudding is set in the center, approximately 55 minutes.  Let it cool for 5 minutes.
To serve, cut into 1" thick slices and top woith whipped cream.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


This entry was posted on 11:21 AM and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: