I found myself with a large amount of raw milk that I needed to use in a hurry.  My kids were also asking for sandwiches and we had no bread.  I decided to try converting my Almond Bread recipe to one that used milk.  I doubled the recipe so I could also make dinner rolls to go with our split pea soup later on.  I found that doubling the reicpe works out well.
  Since I needed some warm liquid to activate the yeast, I warmed the milk enough to be luke warm (still mainatining its raw status) and also melted the butter in at the same time.  The dough looked very much the same as in the original recipe after mixing, so I had hopes it would work as well as the original.  When the first rise cycle was almost complete, my daughter walked passed the bowl and said it had filled it to the top.  I was amazed at how much it had risen.  I was a little concerned that maybe the bread would be holey since it rose so much.
  I poured half of the dough into a greased bread pan and the rest I dropped by spoon onto a cookie sheet.  I have found that if I use a little water on my hands, I can smooth and shape the dough after I have dropped it on the cookie sheet (dough is too wet to roll into a ball in your hand).  I think this recipe worked out better than the original.


1 C Tapioca flour
1/2 C. Cornstarch
1 C. Almond meal
1/2 C. Sweet sorghum flour
2 3/4 tsp Xanthan gum
3 Eggs
2 T Brown sugar
3 T Butter
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
1 1/4C Milk, warmed to luke warm
2 3/4 tsp. Yeast

In a small sauce pan, heat up milk and butter until luke warm.  Set aside. In a miking bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.  Add yeast to the warm milk and butter.  Set aside for a few minutes, until yeast blooms.  Add yeast mixture, eggs, and apple cider vinegar to the dry ingredients and mix for 5 minutes.  Scrape down sides with a spatula, cover with a moist towel and leave to rise for 1 hour.  After the first rise, punch down the dough with a spatula and pour into a bread pan our spoon onto a cookie sheet.  Let rise for 30 minutes if making rolls or 45 minutes if making bread.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes for rolls or 55 minutes for bread.  Turn out onto a cooling rack until completely cooled.  Enjoy!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


This entry was posted on 10:34 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Leanne said...

    I have also added 2 TBSP flax seed to the recipe and had more of a multigrain bread.

  1. ... on December 23, 2009 at 10:36 AM  
  2. Leanne said...

    You can also substitute the butter with coconut oil and the milk with coconut milk and still have excellent results.

  3. ... on February 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM